TIRED WITH BACK PAIN?
GET RIDE OF SLIPPED DISC PAIN
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is important, in today’s scenario. It is common to hear about some or the other problem related to health faced by individuals. Your sedentary lifestyle and lack of physical exercise are the two major contributors for lifestyle disorder.
1. What do you mean by slip disc?
Slip disc does not mean that the disc actually got slipped. But it means that it got ruptured, split or bulged. This rupturing of disc can fail the nearby tissues along with the disc cartilage, which allows the inner gel of the disc to escape into the surrounding area. This jelly-like substance may put pressure on the spinal cord or any adjacent nerve which can cause symptoms like pain, weakness and numbness in that area.
The condition is also referred as ruptured disc, herniated disc, prolapsed disk.
Symptoms of a slipped Disc can be from mild to severe and can vary from person to person.
- Pain extending from your back to your arms and neck
- Back pain while standing and even sitting
- Muscle weakness
- Itching, burning, tingling in the affected area
- Numbness and pain on one side of the body
- Back pain that worsens at night and after certain movements
The severity and type of pain may vary from person to person. One must not delay in consulting a doctor if one experiences back pain that results in tingling and affects their ability to control their muscles.
2. How is it diagnosed?
Slip disc is first diagnosed through physical examination followed by imaging tests.
Physical examination includes checking the muscle strength, nerve function and if you feel the pain while being touched at the affected area or while moving. Imaging tests like X-rays, CT scans, MRI and disco grams help doctors identify the areas damaged and how critical are they.
And accordingly, treatment is provided.
3. How is slipped disc treated?
The treatment depends on how severe the problem is. It can be treated through conventional methods like medicine and physiotherapy to surgery.
There are four cases of a slipped disc. Starting from mild to severe, they include disc bulge, disc protrusion, disc extrusion and disc sequestration. In case of bulging disc, a patient is advised to get physiotherapy done. Along with physiotherapy, some muscle relaxants may also be given. But in a sequestration disc, when the inner jelly-like part completely falls out, detaching itself, surgery is recommended, followed by physiotherapy.
And surgery is preferred when the pain starts travelling from back to legs and becomes persistent.
Issues that can increase your chances of getting a slip disc
- Your Sedentary lifestyle – Sitting all day with no exercise can make your muscles weak and can increase your chances of getting slipped disc, says Best Physiotherapist in Noida. Nine to five job where we all just sit with our backs hunched puts us at risk. This type of lifestyle can make you both sad and sick.
- Gym– Gym is a good way to keep yourself in shape. But doing the exercise in a right way is also important for your own safety. You should take proper guidance from your gym instructor while lifting weights in order to avoid any kind of back injury.
- Smoking – We all know that smoking is injurious to health and it can also put you at a risk of getting slipped disc. Smoking reduces blood circulation to the inner and outer part of the disc, making it weak. When the disc becomes weak then even a slightest jerk or injury can make it fall out of place and cause slipped disc.
- Stress– Any mentalstress can also increase your chances of getting slipped disc. When a person is stressed, his/her muscles become stiff and tight. In this case, even a slight shock or jerk can cause the disc to bulge, says physiotherapist of Felix Hospital.
- Obesity – If a person is overweight, the discs will have to bear extra pressure, which definitely can lead to the problem of slipped disc.
Sitting smartly, standing smartly and walking smartly are the keys to avoid any kind of back problem.
If you have any queries or issues related to your physical pain like arthritis, frozen shoulder, golfer elbow, neck pain, back pain etc. You can visit Felix hospital and meet the best orthopedic and physiotherapist panel near you.