9 TIPS TO LOWER THE RISK OF HEART PROBLEM
Do you know, Hypertension, High Cholesterol levels, Consumption of alcohol, consumption of Drugs can lead to heart attack or stroke?
As per The Global Burden of Disease Report, Heart ailments in India have increased by 50%. And Strokeis one of the leading causes of death and disability in India.
This is frightening!!!
Staying healthy should be your prime objective.
Keep reading to know 9 tips which can help you to lower your risk for any heart related problem.
1. GET YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE CHECK REGULARLY–Get your BP checked regularly at least once in six months (if you are not on any other medication or suffering from any other ailments).Normal BP range is 120/80. While BP above 140 can be a major risk factor for any problem related to the heart.
So, what should you do to maintain your Blood pressure?
Make some lifestyle changes like physical exercise, meditations, healthy diet etc.
2. KEEP YOUR LIPID PROFILE UNDER CONTROL – You need to keep your cholesterol level in a normal range. 100-150mg/DL is ideal but total cholesterol under 200mg/DL is also fine.High level of cholesterol i.e. above 200mg/DL can clog your arteries which raises the risk of a heart attack.
What to do to keep it under control-
- Avoid excess outside food, junk food, fried food
- Increase your good cholesterol level i.e. HDL 60mg/DL or above is good and can protect against heart disease.
3. MAINTAIN A HEALTHY WEIGHT – Healthy weight is determined by your BMI i.e. your weight with respect to your height. According to NIH (National Institute of Health) BMI between 18.5 to 24.9 is considered ideal.
BMI above 25 is considered as overweight which can increase your chances for obesity, hypertension, High BP, High Cholesterol, Diabetes and further heart attack.It is important that you keep a check on your weight.
4. EAT A HEALTHY DIET – Inculcate healthy habits in your diet. Eating plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts for a healthy diet.
And avoid eating saturated fats, packaged and processed food which are high in sodium and artificial sugars.
5. DO REGULAR EXERCISE– Include at least 150 minutes of moderate physical activity in a week to maintain a healthy mind and body. Exercise has many benefits like-
- a. It strengthens your heart
- b. Improves your blood circulation
- c. Lowers your cholesterol levels and
- d. Keeps a check on your BP
6. DO NOT CONSUME ALCOHOL–Excessive drinking can damage your liver, pancreas and entire immune system. It also increases your BP and your chances for heart problems.
7. STOP SMOKING – Smoking is biggest health hazard one can make. It damages your lungs and can lead to lung and throat cancer. It also raises BP and weakens your immune system. In short, you are at a higher risk for a heart attack and stroke.
8. MANAGE YOUR STRESS LEVELS – Today everybody experiences a certain level of stress in their lives. But excess stress can lead you to a heart attack and other heart problem.
Some ways which can help to reduce your stress level – do some physical exercise, listen to your favorite music, meditate
9. GET ENOUGH SLEEP – Always get enough sleep. An adult needs 6-8 hours of sleep daily.Not getting enough sleep not only makes you feel dull but can also be a reason for health issues like High Blood Pressure, Obesity, Diabetes which can further lead to hear problems.
It is the right of every individual to lead a healthy and happy life. If you have any queries, visit Felix hospital and meet our heart experts.